Call for Applications for NEST Postdoctoral Fellowships
The Faculty of Social Science will provide up to three NEST Postdoctoral Fellowships to exceptional junior researchers whose proposed research supports the mandate of the Network for Economic and Social Trends
The awards are valued at $45,000 per year and can commence at the beginning of any month between November 2019 and June 2020. These fellowships are for a one-year term with the possibility of renewal for one additional year.
The awardees will be housed within NEST, which includes access to such resources as the Statistics Canada Research Data Centre, collaboration space, and state of the art video conferencing. Each awardee will be expected to work on a research project with at least one full-time faculty member who will act as their academic supervisor. The supervisor is a mentor according to the following guidelines: https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/policies_procedures/section4/policy_and_guidelines_for_supervision.pdf.
Although not necessary, supervisors may provide top-up funding for research or travel to support the fellow. NEST Postdoctoral award holders will be expected to participate in the activities of NEST and are encouraged to seek out collaborative opportunities with other members of NEST.
To hold the award, applicants must:
- identify at least one full-time faculty member within the Faculty of Social Science to act as their supervisor;
- have completed all requirements for their doctoral degree before taking up the award;
- not hold a PhD for more than three years prior to the commencement of the award;
- engage in full-time postdoctoral research directly related to the mandate of NEST for the period of the award;
- not hold a faculty position or another postdoctoral fellowship at any university while holding a NEST Fellowship;
- Actively participate in NEST activities
Please submit applications to the Associate Dean Graduate and Postdoctoral studies in the Faculty of Social Science. All applications should include the following components as a single pdf:
- Candidate’s curriculum vitae;
- Supervisor’s curriculum vitae;
- Letter of support from the supervisor;
- Proposed start date (must be at least one month after submission of application)
- Program of work (maximum 4 pages single spaced + max 1 page of references), including:
- Maximum 100-word summary/abstract of the program of work
- Confirmed research supervisor(s) and their NEST Centre affiliation(s);
- Contributions to the NEST mandate
- Description of research program, including objectives, scholarly significance, practical significance, originality, methodology, and anticipated outcomes including scholarly and other outputs and impact.
A Faculty-level committee will adjudicate files according to the schedule in the timeline below and according to the following criteria:
- Proposed plan of research
- Current record of research and scholarly impact
- Fit within NEST
- Preference for applicants whose PhD is not from Western University
Sept NEST Postdoctoral Fellowship call for applications issued
Oct 31 First deadline for applications
Nov First round awardees announced
Jan 31 Second deadline for applications
Feb Second round awardees announced